Sunday, August 30, 2009

Posted by xjustinx |
For as long as I can remember, people have seemed to either love or hate Eighteen Visions, and that was even back in the day when they were a good band. I was a fan of everything they did up through Until The Ink Runs Out, and I can still remember the first time I heard Lifeless when I bought it from my friend's distro in the 90s. It was heavy, it was pissed, and I can remember loving the lyrics that hated on God and religion. Besides, how many bands do you know that use the term "fist fuck" in their lyrics?
Anyways, Jav sent me this tape a few months ago that has two songs that were supposed to go on a split with Deformity. It never came out, and this recording never saw the light of day. The Nothing was later re-recorded for Until The Ink Runs Out, and Slipping Through The Hands of God is a re-recorded version of a song that originally appeared on the Lifeless EP.
Here's what Jav remembers about the recording:
I'm not sure what year those songs were recorded. All 18 visions songs were numbered, in the order we wrote them I believe "the nothing" was song 11. "Slipping through the hands of god" was 3. Lifeless had been recorded a few months earlier, and we were writing for YESTERDAY IS TIME KILLED. Dave Peters had left the band and Steve Purilla had joined and was helping Brandan write songs. Steve was suuuuper into black metal, and definitely helped 18v both musically and stylistically. The transition from basketball jerseys and cargos to creepers and eyeliner was aided by Steve. Dan Gump had 18V record these song for a split 7" with Deformity. We were impressed by the band's blend of hardcore and metal, and MISANTHROPE was in heavy rotation. The songs were recorded, but the layout got lost in Ken Floyd's room and Dan got sick of waiting, so Deformity used the songs for another split and our two songs were simply re-recorded for YESTERDAY... The versions here have never been heard by probably more than 5 people outside of the band, and have never been available digitally. I had a DAT tape of "slipping through the hands of god" because that song was also supposed to be used on a Catalyst Records comp, but we were told we couldn't be on the comp because one of our members wasn't vegan (the comp was never released, but I've contacted Kurt about telling the story of that comp. Maybe some day). James and I had a huge falling out shortly after my departure from the band until about 3 years ago, and I offered the DAT as an olive branch. The master recording of "the nothing" is probably lost forever. I prefer the versions here over the other versions. The talking at the end of "the nothing" is me reading pages of a book by Marquis de Sade in the sound booth of Doubletime. I was sick as fuck, with a fever, and that's the only thing I really remember of the session. The only lyrics I ever wrote for 18V were for this song, about a letter the band received from a girl who loved our music but was disturbed by the sacreligious lyrics. The girl eventually married one of our friends. Awkward.
Speaking of that letter, Jav also sent that to me, so here's a scan of it. (also ironic considering that James Hart would later find God, and Eighteen Visions then stopped playing some of their best songs, such as The Psychotic Thought - "DEATH TO YOUR KING!")
Given the age and condition of the master cassette tape that Jav sent me, I actually think this sounds pretty good. There's a small amount of a phasing issue at the very beginning that wasn't 100% correctable, and a brief amount of tape "warbling" towards the end of track 2. I also remastered the songs, and it definitely made them a little more clear, and have a little more punch.

Eighteen Visions - Unreleased Session
[year unknown]
http://www.mediafire.com/?ddzdiinm4j2

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like early 18v. I lost all interest with "Vanity"..sorry. I first heard 18v when a local kid by the name of Colby ran a label and zine called "Breakout" based out of the east bay. In addition to putting out records for various local bay area hardcore bands he put out a comp called "Straight Edge - Rise Of A New Era" and it had "Pyschotic Thought" on there. The first time I heard that track, I was sold. So I ordered "Yesterday Is Time Killed" via snail mail back in the day. I dug that album alot. It's still my favorite 18v record. I'm also one of the few people who actually digs the old school "Lifeless" ep. "Until The Ink Runs Out" was good but not as good in my opinion.."Best Of" was good too cuz they re-did the old ones only alot heavier. Like em or hate em they definately deserve a place in the mid-late 90's metallic hardcore era.

alex said...

I like everything 18V did, period. so i know ill love these songs! i never thought that anything unreleased by them would ever surface... but thanks a bunch Justin!

shrout said...

wish that i could say i was in the band during the "yesterday is time killed"/"until the ink runs out" era, but i settle for "obsession" era instead. haha. playing the old stuff at practice was always really cool though, as i was a huge fan of the old stuff before i joined up.

xLEARx said...

Holy shit. What a gem. I liked everything 18V did from start to finish. They released their best record "Until The Ink Runs Out" at a time when I felt that too many people were looking at the hardcore scene through a very narrow funnel and to me 18V was a band that didn't mind breaking the rules. They brought the rock n' roll back, and although some people hated them for it you can't deny they were fucking GOOD at it. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Friend of mine did an interview with them in 1998. They also sent a tape with one of these songs along. Great stuff!

igorxxx said...

old 18v fucken OWNS!!!really interesting to hear some unreleased oldies of them

Alex AbridgedPause said...

Dan Gump told me there was supposed to be an 18V/Lifeless split on Life Sentence, and it never happened because apparently one of the two bands didnt end up recording the songs in time... Maybe these two were for it...

Silent said...

This is gold. Thanks for sharing! That letter, odd story, man.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have the First Day Somber ep that starts out with the sample "let's see some fuckin action"? I need those songs...

Yesterday is Time Killed, No Time for Live and Until the Ink Runs Out are Eternal classics. Lifeless is solid as well. Great band, especially during their earlier years.