Thursday, August 27, 2009

Posted by xCHIPxSEM |
Ahhh, the Initial Records catalog. Sure there were other labels putting out big catalogs to include the distros they carried but Initial always had a leg up on the competition. Did they carry a lot of the same releases that other labels and distros did? Yup. Did they try to include witty descriptions of the releases like the other labels and distros did? Yes sir (or maam). BUT...what they did do that no others did was include a chart to to describe the releases. Each release had a symbol next to the title to explain what the band sounded like (scroll down to see the chart). If you were more metal-influenced, you got a pentagram, etc. Check it out. Also, they included various ads including one for Scott Ritcher (Slamdek Records, Metroschifter, Sunspring) for Mayor of Louisville, a section on bootleg Initial Records tshirts, and customer hall of fame letters. While the label has since folded, you can relive those great catalogs right here. Be sure to check this blog for downloads of old Initial releases that are now out of print including Despair, Ink & Dagger, and Falling Forward.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Classic!! I remember getting this catalog in the mail and ordering a bunch of CDs w/ the little pentagram or little house next to the title!!

Thanks for bringing back some memories I totally forgot about!!

xbojanx said...

I remember reading this and skipping bends with Q sign - those days ;)...great idea to scan catalog

kylescore said...

crap, the calvin pissing on the rev logo is classic. i think im gonna have to steal this & use it somehow

mumbot said...

One time when I was like 16, I saved up and I bought the Falling Forward hoodie (the one with the bird silhouettes on it) and like a week later my sister stole it and left it and gave it to some douchebag. Loved that band and this label. Miss my hoodie!

Mike said...

I loved getting these in the mail at school! Thanks for putting it up. Initial was a great label.

kyle score said...

I was featured in the customer letters hall of fame, I'm trying to find that catalog but its not on here, I think it was 2001, it had a brown cover, upload it if ya got it!