Sunday, April 11, 2010

Posted by xCHIPxSEM | File under : , , ,

I did a lot of research to make sure this record is no longer available before posting. Originally released by Equal Vision Records, this was re-released in 1998 by Revelation Records and has since gone out of print (again). You can buy a new copy through Amazon for $138 (!!!!)...don't even pretend that you entertained the idea. Maybe Rev is planning on making this available as a digital download through Itunes but as of now, this is unavailable. While Shelter was not the first hardcore band to include members who were Hare Krishna, as far as I know they were first ALL Krishna band. Lots of kids kinda scratched their heads when Youth of Today were broken up by Ray Cappo so he could become a devotee. Ray re-emerged with Shelter which was intended to be his last musical endeavor (it wasn't). Its a tough race between which is the best Shelter record for me...it always comes down to this and Mantra with Mantra just barely winning (hey that's just my opinion). I know labels are going strictly vinyl and digital downloads only but when neither are available, its a pretty big bummer. It also includes 3 tracks of chanting and traditional Indian music as well as a sermon.

EDIT: I was informed this is available through emusic.com so the link has been taken down.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to be a bummer, but the title is available from Revelation via eMusic.

xCHIPxSEM said...

Alright, thanks for the heads up. Link has been taken down.

Chris Neckdeep said...

It's funny...this is one record (compilation really) that I LOVED as a youth that just falls completely flat when I listen to it now. I mean, those vocals...they are just awful. the live shows were amazing. But past that...

Anyway, I made a post about my thoughts a while back on my 'barely updated' site...

http://attempttoregress.blogspot.com/2009/11/in-defense-of-reality-really.html

Anonymous said...

"awful"?! no way, I still listen to this record.