Friday, April 13, 2012

Posted by Anonymous |

What year did your record label 1124 Records begin and what was the very first release?

I started doing 1124 in 1993. I was living in West Chester, PA at the time and got the urge to start a label as a few friends of mine had their own labels and, having zero musical talent or ability, starting a label seemed like a viable alternative to being in a band.

I started gathering up demos at shows that I'd go to and looking for a band that I wanted to work with. At some point, I was given the Blindside demo. They were a Straight Edge band from Emmaus, PA which wasn't too far from my hometown of Easton. I was 21 at the time and I think those guys were around 17 or so. I can't remember if I called them or wrote them but they agreed to let me put out their record and the Blindside - From Within 7" became my first release.

I knew NOTHING about putting out a record. I called or wrote United Record Pressing and got the price sheet mailed to me. Back then, it was on just a few sheets of paper. I knew nothing of mastering or ideal song length. I let United cut the lacquers for the record and that, combined with the longer song length pushing the limits of the maximum side length, resulted in a very quiet record. But I didn't care. It was my first release and I was proud as hell. I brought the two inserts, the covers and records to the drummer's house and we folded 2000 inserts and stuffed them with the records into the covers. I loved that aspect of it. I gave 200 to the band and sold the other 800 in about a month and a half.

Going to the post office every day and having a box full of envelopes with $3.50 inside each one was pretty fun too. I really liked that pre-internet era of hardcore where everyone had a PO Box instead of an email address and you could always find some hand decorated envelope or package waiting for you at the post office.


Does the number 1124 have some sort of significance or meaning for you? If so, what?

My birthday is November 24th. I really didn't put too much thought into it and can't remember if I had any other names in mind or not. I have had several different logos throughout the years though.


What sorts of criteria have you used in the past to determine what bands/artists to do records with and what sorts of criteria do you use now?

Pretty much then and now, I just look for bands that I like musically and who are cool people to deal with. I try to seek out stuff that will stand out against the multitude of stuff out there and also bands who are willing to promote the record as much as I am. I have my own set of personal beliefs and some band's lyrics haven't matched those but I'm a strong believer in freedom of
speech. That being said, I wouldn't work with a band that had racist, sexist or homophobic lyrics or lyrical content.


What 1124 Records release(s) in the '90s are you most proud of and why?

The Blindside 7" holds a special place because it was my first record. Musically, I love the Line Drive 7"s. Both of those 7"s sold out incredibly fast and that was pretty cool. I do wish the Shatterhed record had come out better. Musically, it's a great DC influenced post-hardcore sounding record. Aesthetically, it's a trainwreck. The covers that I ordered from Punks with Presses (remember them?) never arrived, so I ended up making some horrible ones at Kinkos. The labels printed terribly. Why or how United didn't notice that and didn't redo them or ask me for new artwork is beyond me. A few years ago, I converted all my old DATs to MP3s and the Shatterhed DAT was broken. If anyone can do a good rip of the vinyl, I'll send you some stuff in exchange.


Why did you stop doing 1124 Records in the late '90s?

I was getting busier with work and "being an adult" (ha!) and just didn't have the time to devote to it that I wanted to. I was also a little disillusioned with the state of hardcore at the time. I still loved and supported the music but it wasn't the same. Every band had a CD out, it seemed. I missed the days of bands sending out cassette demos, then doing a 7" and then maybe a 12".
I guess with the digital age, it was all bound to end. I hate sounding like my "good old days" were better than what's going on now but I think every generation thinks what they have is special & unique and can't be duplicated.


What made you decide to start doing 1124 Records again in 2010?

I was still involved with the hardcore scene as far as going to shows and buying records while 1124 was shelved but I always missed doing the label. I toyed with the idea of putting out a record over the years but nothing fell into place. When I stopped doing it originally, I was working on a Backlash discography CD that never happened. So, a few years ago, I reached out to Jon Sinko and asked him about doing the discography on vinyl. Everything worked this time around and my first release back was the Backlash - Through Different Eyes 2xLP. Probably a little ambitious to take on something that size for my first release back but it came out great.


What 1124 Records release(s) since 2010 are you most proud of and why?

I love how the Chain of Strength 2x7" compilation came out. I had always wanted to do a comp and I loved the format of the Embrace comp done by Watermark. I started reaching out to a bunch of the Straight Edge bands that I liked at the time and surprisingly, all but two agreed to be on the comp. I actually had to turn bands away.

Another surprise was how all the bands got me all their info and song files on deadline. I figured that working with 10 hardcore bands from all over the globe would be a nightmare but it went really smooth. The Chain guys were all stoked on it and Jordan Cooper was a huge help. The response to the layout, songs and everything was great.


Discuss the upcoming Triggerman - Learning To Lie LP/CD.

After I did the Killing Flame - Save Yourself LP, I was interested in releasing their Nine More Lives album on vinyl since it only got a CD release. When I contacted Joe Nelson to ask about doing it, he asked me if I would be interested in doing the new Triggerman instead. I jumped on it as I loved the Dead Like Me LP and the Sinker 7".

Joe and Gavin had all these songs that they had written but never recorded back when Triggerman was still active. About a year or so ago, they recruited Derek O'Brien and Brett Rasmussen to play drums and bass respectively and finally got the songs recorded.

There are 13 Triggerman songs, and one Go Go's cover. The vinyl will have 11 songs and, instead of a download card, we decided to include a CD in a sleeve which will contain all 14 songs. The CD will not be for sale on it's own. You can only get it by purchasing the LP. There will also be an official Gavin Ogelsby guitar pick and 3 Triggerman stickers.

There will be 3 vinyl colors for the record: blood red, grey and black. The blood red version will be a "friends press" only available through the band. The grey and the black will be available through 1124 and various distros. Any represses will not include the CD, stickers or picks. We also did two different shirt designs for this release. There are also plans to do at least one record release show in May or June.


What is the status of the other Triggerman record (of demos and compilation tracks) that you're planning on releasing?

Gavin is working on collecting all of the early Triggerman song tapes, reels, DATs, etc. I will be releasing an LP of both demos and all of the compilation & 7" songs. It will be a one time pressing of 100 LPs with hand stamped covers. Hopefully that will be done by early summer.


How do you go about deciding what colors of vinyl to press specific records on?

Most of the time, I leave it up to the band but I offer my suggestions from time to time. I usually try to tie the vinyl color into the layout colors. But for the Backlash, I did 100 on white as a nod to the Judge - Chung King Can Suck It record. For the Chain comp, I tried to match the colors to the original Rev pressing of clear, green and black.


Feel free to discuss any of your other endeavors (musical or otherwise) here.

After the Triggerman LPs, I'll be releasing an LP from Brooklyn's The Last Stand. I did their 7" last year. The Last Stand is basically Shutdown with Mike from Inhuman singing. Heavy but not metallic NYHC. I also have something cool planned for 2013 but I'm keeping that under wraps for now. It will be a 20th anniversary type thing. I've also been talking with Time Together about repressing their 7"s onto a 12". They sound like a modern day version of Uniform Choice. Great stuff. That's about all I have planned for 1124 unless I get a demo that knocks my socks off.

I spend my days working at Olympus in the industrial microscope division and when I'm not working, I'm happily wrapped around my one year old daughter Violet's finger.

Thanks a ton for the interest in doing this interview and thanks for all your support on Stuck In The Past in featuring all of my projects. I really appreciate it.

1 comments:

Gray said...

All hail Scott Foster! A saint among men, and a guy I will always be indebted to for taking a chance on our little band.

Thanks Scott, and thanks Stuck In The Past for the interview, it's great to hear that 1124 is alive and well, and that Scott is still sticking to his guns. I'd love to invite Scott down to North Carolina on Saturday, June 23rd for a one-time only Line Drive/Naked Angels reunion show. C'mon Mr. Foster!

Gray
Line Drive