Friday, February 20, 2009

Posted by xCHIPxSEM |
Alright well I know Im going to get a lot of shit for this next statement but in my opinion, Buried Alive is the best Scott Vogel band. I know many of you are going to say Despair or Slugfest, but to me Buried Alive is easily the most angry band he has ever done. I remember reading the lyrics and thinking to myself "Jesus, Vogel has got to have ulcers". I wonder, had they stuck around, would they have acheived Terror status? Possibly. The thing that set this band apart from his previous endeavors is the drumming. Jesse Muscato can play that fast beat...I know I said it before in a previous post, but drummers can either play the fast beat correctly or they cant. Muscato plays it...and plays it well. The guitar tone is great as is the bass and you can hear everything clearly. Vogel's lyrics...PISSED OFF! Lyrics about dying from AIDS (Kiss of Death), the horrors of animal consumption (Poisoned Seeds), and kids who come into the scene and then leaving as quickly they entered (Six Month Face). This record also has one of the best guest vocal spots ever recorded in "To Live and Die With" when Jamey Hatebreed jumps in for a verse. This record, 10 years later, is still in my top 5 favorite hardcore records ever and is my favorite of all of Scott Vogels bands. Im in the process of buying a capture device so when I get that Im going to rip Buried Alive's ENTIRE set from Hellfest 2000.



8 comments:

David Agranoff said...

I agree Buried Alive is my favorite Vogel band as well.

Anonymous said...

i agree. buried alive is significantly better than any other vogel band. and speaking of drummers, the drummer who replaced jesse muscato (kevin corcoran) was even better. he was a lefty who played a right handed kit, but open handed. he was so solid. he is the one in this video, and played on the split with reach the sky, as well as the "last rites" lp.

Anonymous said...

This might be my favorite Victory record, ever. So hard and awesome. I've been looking for that entire Hellfest set since I got that DVD.

AJ said...

Would kill for a VHS or DVD copy of their Hell Fest 2000 set. Seeing their songs on the DVD from that year is what inspired me to do a band. Having a full set would mean the world to me. The intensity displayed on this set was out of control.

Buried Alive is by FAR the best Vogel band. Anyone who tries to say Slugfest or Despair is "better" is just saying so for nostalgia/cred. The musicianship in Buried Alive (as displayed in this video) was flawless. Such a shame that they will, according to Vogel, "never" do another show.

Keep in mind that I love Despair and Slugfest ... but to say either is better than Buried Alive is laughable.

xCHIPxSEM said...

AJ as soon as I get a capture device Ill transfer it. The sound isnt that great but the footage is there. Vogel rules

Anonymous said...

band was so disgustingly tight. everything was perfect about this band musically.

mikectw said...

I've got about 8 sealed copies of this on color vinyl 12" if anyone is interested. I got them when it came out. mikectw@conquertheworld.com

arben said...

i agree with just about all of the comments left here. buried alive sounded and played like a "real" band, if you will. one of the few bands around that could come close live to how they sounded on record. i think it's also important to mention steve evetts, who produced this album, and the great job he did.