Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Posted by xCHIPxSEM |

Ignite is one of the first bands I got into when I discovered hardcore in 1995. I saw an ad for the In My Time Cd and 7 inch on Lost & Found Records (oof) and said to myself "Ignite...Ignite...that is the best name I have ever heard for a band". I ordered the CD and a tshirt (which I still have and you can see to the right) from Victory Distribution and was floored. The insert had pictures of 4 dudes with shaved heads going nuts on a stage in front of hundreds of people. The songs on both the demo and 7 inch were re-recorded for "Call On My Brothers" which was originally released on Conversion Records and then re-released with a remaster on Revelation. The cool thing about the demo is that it features the original singer, Joe Nelson before Zoli joined. I dont know the circumstances as to why he left but Zoli did a great job. I finally got to see them in 1997 right after "Past Our Means" came out and they were amazing. The drummer, Casey Jones, had actually quit the band mid-tour and they flew Mark McKay from Slapshot down and he finished the tour. At the end of their set, they were going to play "Screaming For Change" by Uniform Choice when the PA went out. We screamed for them to play it anyway, they did, and the kids overpowered the music. It was just one of those experiences that you cant explain to people, you had to be there.
These tracks were compiled by a Portuguese label and released as a split with a band called Xacto hence the cover above. I felt the need to post this since I had just gotten the "Embrace" shirt in the mail and wanted to let you know that even though I love the 90s sound, I do love the traditional hardcore sound as well and Ignite does it so well. Im hoping for a tour because last time I saw them they only played 2 old songs which seriously bummed me out but they were still great. Either way, heres Ignite "Ash Return Demo" and "In My Time" 7 inch.


Ignite - Ash Return Demo and In My Time 7 inch.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmiyzyxozol

5 comments:

Pedro Carvalho said...

The label that put it out, Ataque Sonoro, is Portuguese, not Spanish. And so was X-Acto, by the way.
If I were you I`d orrect it before an actual Portuguese person sees it, as they get super pissed about the Spain thing...

xCHIPxSEM said...

Pedro
Fixed it...thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I remember when the demo came out and saw them every time I could back then. They lost it somewhere around '97 when Casey and Joe left.

xCHIPxSEM said...

Justin I have to agree with you...the band wasnt the same though the last record they did was real good. Past Our Means and before were flawless

jav said...

i saw Ignite's first show, with Joe singing. Randy Johnson, from Pushed Aside, sang for a while too. there was a 5 song demo with Joe, then a 6 song demo with one Randy sang tacked on the end. the demo and 7" stuff is my favorite from this band, and i have SOOOOO many good memories of seeing this band. always fun, always posi... this is just good hardcore.